- CS gas
- n. a gas causing tears and choking, used to control riots etc.
Etymology: B. B. Corson & R. W. Stoughton, Amer. chemists
* * *nouna tear gas that is stronger than CN gas but wears off faster; can be deployed by grenades or cluster bombs; can cause skin burns and fatal pulmonary edema• Syn: ↑chlorobenzylidenemalononitrile
* * *CS gas /sēˈes gas/nounAn irritant gas that affects vision and respiration, synthesized in 1928 by Corson and Stoughton and used in riot control
* * *CS gas UK [ˌsiː es ˈɡæs] US [ˌsi es ˈɡæs] noun [uncountable]a gas used by the police for controlling crowds of people It hurts your eyes and makes it difficult for you to breathe .
* * *n. a powerful form of tear gas used particularly in the control of riotsOrigin:1960s: from the initials of Ben B. Corson (born 1896) and Roger W. Stoughton (1906 - 57), the American chemists who discovered the properties of the chemical in 1928
* * *a gas that stings the eyes, producing tears and making it difficult to breathe. CS gas is sometimes used to control crowds.see also ↑tear gasWord Origin:[CS gas] 1960s: from the initials of Ben B. Corson (1896–1987) and Roger W. Stoughton (1906–57), the American chemists who discovered the properties of the chemical in 1928.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
Gas Natural — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Este artículo trata sobre una empresa. Para la fuente de energía, véase Gas natural. Gas Natural SDG, S.A. Tipo Sociedad Anónima Fundación 1991 Sede … Wikipedia Español
Gas chromatography — A gas chromatograph with a headspace sampler Acronym GLC, GC Classification chromatography Analytes organic inorganic … Wikipedia
Gas Works Park — in Seattle, Washington is a 19.1 acre (77,000 m²) public park on the site of the former Seattle Gas Light Company gasification plant, located on the north shore of Lake Union at the south end of the Wallingford neighborhood. Gas Works park… … Wikipedia
Gas blending — or gas mixing is the filling of diving cylinders with non air breathing gases such as nitrox, trimix and heliox. Hazards There are several hazards with gas mixing: * cylinders are being filled with high pressure gas. If there is any damage or… … Wikipedia
Gas Gas — is a Spanish motorcycle manufacturer, specialising in off road motorbikes. Gas Gas are best known for their extremely popular trials bikes, although they also make successful enduro and quad bikes.Gas Gas emerged from the financial demise of… … Wikipedia
Gas — [ga:s], das; es, e: 1. a) unsichtbarer Stoff in der Form wie Luft: giftiges, brennbares, explosives Gas; einen Ballon mit Gas füllen; zu Gas werden; in der Flüssigkeit sind mehrere Gase aufgelöst. b) brennbares, zum Kochen und Heizen verwendetes… … Universal-Lexikon
Gas-operated reloading — Gas operation is a system of operation used to provide energy to operate autoloading firearms. In gas operation, a portion of high pressure gas from the cartridge being fired is used to power a mechanism to extract the spent case and chamber a… … Wikipedia
Gas core reactor rocket — Gas core reactor rockets are a conceptual type of rocket that is propelled by the exhausted coolant of a gaseous fission reactor. The nuclear fission reactor core may be either a gas or plasma. They may be capable of creating specific impulses of … Wikipedia
Gas Gas — Fundación 1985 Sede Salt, Gerona, España … Wikipedia Español
gas — s.m.inv. 1a. FO ogni sostanza che, a temperatura e pressione normale, è allo stato aeriforme, in contrapposizione ai solidi e ai liquidi, e non presenta forma e volume propri 1b. TS fis., chim. sostanza aeriforme che si trova al di sopra della… … Dizionario italiano
Gas chromatography-mass spectrometry — (GC MS) is a method that combines the features of gas liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry to identify different substances within a test sample. Applications of GC MS include drug detection, fire investigation, environmental analysis,… … Wikipedia